Forum

Welcome, Log in or Register
Am absolutely sold on PureRef. It's become an important part of my pipeline. I evangelize at any opportunity.

Here a few thoughts after using PR for about 6 months.

Autosave - I can't personally overstate this enough. Despite the save warning , I've had a few lost sessions. when in the zone, it's not unusual for me to just click through (I know bone-headed) dialogs.

Transform Gizmo - A Move/Scale/Rotate gizmo (ala 3DS Max, Modo, etc.) overlay would be real handy when using on a Tablet, or any machine for that matter. Perhaps an overlay that pops when the mouse cursor is over the image.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-02 20:12 by Bumper.
Thanks for the suggestions!

We're working on adding auto save functionality so you can expect that in a future version.

We don't really see the usefulness of the transform gizmo though, as all navigations are only in 2D and aspect ratio locked.
Cool! Auto-save has saved my bacon on so many occasions!

I hear where your coming from regarding the gizmo. My idea however is along the lines of, of course, the axis being limited to 2D. I would see it being useful for tablets, as a keyboard is not always in reach. I've recently started using a tablet for roughing concepts (where PureRef is a must!) at work, which is what the possibility of the gizmo to mind.

Were you to ever opt for adding one (which could perhaps be toggled in preferences) I would be more than happy to provide the art assets free of charge. :)
Do you mean that you would like to be able to swap the mode of the mouse drag action via some kind of a toggle-able toolbar? Or do you mean like the transformation tool in Photoshop?

Auto saves has been added in the newest version 1.6.0!
Awesome! Yea for auto save! Thanks!

I was thinking that if you have gizmo enabled in your preferences, that when your cursor/stylus hovered over an image for a fraction of a second, a gizmo overlay would appear. You then manipulate it's move, rotate and scale, let go and it disappears a fraction of a second later, but lags enough if you want to grab another part of the gizmo (say if you want to scale, then move. Again, this is namely useful for Tablets, I would say, or for users that otherwise would like to minimize keyboard hot keys...

Just spit-balling, but here's a mock-up of what I had in mind. I'm sure there are some human-factors issues that haven't occurred to me and I have no idea how one would implement something with this functionality.

Center of gizmo is free move.
Red and green axis markers lock translate to X and Y.
The golden rod is both rotate and scale.
*Rotate in close to the gizmo and you get 90% (adjustable in prefs maybe) snaps.
*Pull further out and rotate to get free rotation.
*Maybe snaps could get more granular as you reach the outer ring.
*After a certain point the rod locks rotation and now functions as a scale slider.
*The rod may need to change color/transparency or something to signal the multiple modes (90%, free rot and scale.).

*Camera zooming could be actuated perhaps by pulling the scale/rotate bar with the stylus button clicked and held while dragging.

Maybe a rotates/scale region overlay where the rod/slider handle would snap to the two orange rings for the two rot states. Pull further out and you're in scale mode.

Not sure how to post images/links, so here are a couple of URLs:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3GZibo2aLKU/VOAC3VWZ1NI/AAAAAAAAHI0/I_drlTz2EVw/w754-h865-no/gizmo_mockup.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-J2vP7UW9TnQ/VOAC3UswWZI/AAAAAAAAHIw/QwwpwzDnulA/w636-h680-no/gizmo_with_overlay_ring.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-15 03:52 by Bumper.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. We agree that the feature would be handy and will keep it in mind for future versions but right now it is going to be on our low priority list.
Understandable. It was a fun exercise. Thanks for hearing me out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-21 15:26 by Bumper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login