Forum

Welcome, Log in or Register
I got this idea from Unreal Engine where you can bookmark or save the current viewport/camera position using CTRL+1, 2, 3, and so on, and you can jump between the saved views just by pressing the corresponding numbers again (without CTRL).

It will save time in jumping between key areas around the board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-10 18:44 by ahbeejieh.
Yes I concur with ahbeejieh's suggestion, I think this is a critical feature.

A feature to create bookmarks from the current camera view and giving a name to this bookmark is critical, especially as a .pur files grows.

As well as a simple means to organise them, maybe list them as "bookmark" objects in the Hierarchy panel or give it its own panel, allowing us to manage these camera bookmarks:
- Double click to go to bookmark
- Rename bookmark
- Delete bookmark
- Hotkey to go to next bookmark in the list
- Hotkey to go to previous bookmark in the list
- Assign hotkey to a specific bookmark

______________________ A COMMAND LINE FEATURE TO POINT THE CAMERA TO A BOOKMARK FOUND IN THE SCENE ______________________

With the ability to create a bookmark within the UI, it would be very useful to then navigate to that bookmark over the command line:

> PureRef -bookmark my_bookmark
> PureRef -Path path/to/file.pur -bookmark my_bookmark

The above pseudo code will move/set the camera to a bookmark called "my_bookmark". Ideally the most recently active PureRef window should be used, unless the user provides a .pur file to open.

______________________ COMMAND LINE FEATURE TO POINT THE CAMERA TO A OBJECT IN THE SCENE VIA ITS NAME ______________________

The hierarchy panel lets you give unique names to objects. We should be able to take advantage of this. An option to move the camera or focus the camera with this object in view, similar to double clicking an object to fit the view:

> PureRef -Camera <Object Name>
>PureRef -Path path/to/file.pur -Camera <Object name>

The above pseudo code, will move/set the camera to a object in the scene called. Ideally the most recently active PureRef window should be used, unless the user provides a .pur file to open.

______________________ COMMAND LINE FEATURE TO POINT THE CAMERA TO A COORDINATE IN A SCENE ______________________
And finally a means of setting the camera to a coordinate in the scene.

> PureRef -x 300 -y 300 -w 1080 -h 720
> PureRef -Path path/to/file.pur -x 300 -y 300 -w 1080 -h 720

The above pseudo code, will move/set the camera to the provided coordinates and "-w" and "-h" could be used to set the zoom ratio.

This could even be used as a friendly means of visualising the potential output of exporting a part of the scene to a image. A command that already exists.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
The above features would allow others to integrate PureRef into many contexts:

- In Markdown/Note taking tools such as Obsidian, Clicking on a link, would open`.pur` and go to the exact area in the scene that is relevant to that note.
- Collaborative teams that use PureRef as a board/organisational tool, will have a way to reference or link to specific parts/groups in a .pur file
- Make navigation in a large .pur file a breeze
- Keeping track of groups in a scene
- Keeping track of various parts of a scene

Currently, while it is straight forward to work with a PureRef window along with another software, it is very hard to work with PureRef files, to integrate them along with other files in a Project. For example to open a specific part of a .pur file that was linked to in a Markdown file.

Through a custom user registered URL protocol, it is possible to run a PureRef when the link is clicked on, the URL parameters passed to PureRef as arguments. But such a thing is not possible at all without a bookmark feature in PureRef and the ability to navigate to a bookmark from the command line.

Please consider adding some of these futures, I really want to use PureRef in other contexts, specialy for designing and specification in a visual way, it excels at that but currently its hard to make part of a cohesive/notetaking/collaborative tool, mostly due to the lack of the above features.

With these features I do see my colleques adopting Pureref, which is something I want. As it is though, its just me.

Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login