PureRef Forum

Welcome, Log in or Register
PNGs are great and I understand why a lot of users prefer them, but they take up a lot of space on the hard drive. Whenever I export scenes or images, I always have to go through the trouble of converting the PNGs to JPGs. I'd really like to have the option to export to JPG directly. I imagine there are plenty of other users who would like this option as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-01 14:19 by PureRef.
I second this. I'll add that the previous version from 2017(?) allowed me to just add .jpg to the end of my filename and that worked just fine. However in the latest 2020 updates this produces a 16 colour looking image instead. I may even revert the updates for this "feature".
Thanks for the suggestion. This is something we have on our to do list, we'll see what we can do for future versions of PureRef.

twilson: We're not quite sure what you mean has changed, do you mean that the loaded image looks different in PureRef after you change the extension? Did you just change the extension after exporting it or were you able to select the extension before exporting?
> twilson: We're not quite sure what you mean has
> changed, do you mean that the loaded image looks
> different in PureRef after you change the
> extension? Did you just change the extension after
> exporting it or were you able to select the
> extension before exporting?

For the last couple years when I had a huge scene I needed to share on Slack or Trello I would just go Save > Export Scene and enter my Name.jpg. It would then save out a reasonably decent quality JPG and a much smaller file size than a PNG.

Since the new update - when I attempt this I get the equivalent of a low quality GIF.
Adding my vote for this, JPG would be great.

+ similar tickets:

https://www.pureref.com/forum/read.php?3,44,44#msg-44 - PSD would also be nice
https://www.pureref.com/forum/read.php?3,1744,1744#msg-1744 - exporting individual images with numerical names
Bumping this thread almost a year later. I just used the Export function and saw it kicked out a bunch of PNGs. Would be awesome if we could set them as JPGs instead :)
We've just released a beta of PureRef 2.0 that improves the export feature a bit, we support png and jpeg but also exporting to the images original file format as long as you don't need to export the images cropping. Note that the latter only works for newly created scenes unfortunately. if you want to give it a try you can download it on the download page!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login