PureRef Download Forum Support
Good afternoon,

I'd like to start by expressing important PureRef is to my creative workflow. In short, you have my endless appreciation for this tool! It sits deservedly right next to Krita, Blender, Godot, Natron, etc. on my Favorites bar.

It's for that reason that there's one key suggestion I'd like to make: I suggest that PureRef might benefit greatly if you were to release its source code under an open source license like GPLv3 or MIT.

I believe that the benefits might be significant. First a disclaimer; please forgive me if I'm saying things that you already know, such things are not always an obvious thing to guess!
- Users on this forum, like the TD wanting more command line options, or the user wanting LAB color, would be able to implement the features themselves (or have their studio's tech department implement it) - then offer such changes back to the project (pending your approval), to the benefit of all!
- This would give users (like me!) the physical and legal ability to package PureRef officially for Linux distributions (so that users can install it with a simple 'apt install pureref' or 'yum install pureref'), instantly reaching a wider audience.
- If this site were to one day disappear, and with it the download links, PureRef could live on regardless - something that users who rely on it would be very thankful for!
- Contrary to popular belief, you actually do keep copyright and therefore licensing control (contributors can also give you copyright through a CLA) - this means you can hypothetically, for example, offer both a commercial license and a GPL license (QT or MySQL is the prime example).
- To be clear, no control over the project's vision or direction would be given up. The most a user could do is make their own version by forking it.
- There are Open Source licenses for any want or need: https://choosealicense.com/ . To the best of my knowledge, PureRef currently falls under No License, which is the opposite of unrestricted: https://choosealicense.com/no-permission/ .

Additionally, Open Source projects can often decently monetized:
- Many projects have a (hideable) "Donate to this Project" popup. In this case, it might actually be effective, due to the wide appeal of PureRef!
- Ardour sells $45 binaries, even though the source code is widely available for the user to compile themselves.
- Krita and Blender frequently run wildly successful crowdfunding campaigns, and have otherwise nonzero income from both personal & corporate donations.
- GitLab runs a wonderful open source project as a kind of plug for their corporate product. Long story short, it works!

Thank you for your time, and for PureRef. I hope you'll consider making it open source! Please have a wonderful day!

-Sofus Rose
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login